I am starting to think that I should have called this series “Struggling with The Master Genealogist”. I certainly struggled with entering my source information this morning after having a break from TMG for a couple of weeks.
Whilst I had decided to tackle the TMG one area at a time, that can be difficult as different aspects are inter-linked. My task for this week was to enter all my BMD certificates correctly as sources, and cite them correctly. On reflection I realised it made sense to scan them, and attach the images as exhibits at the same time, and then file them in my newly acquired certificate binder. This meant that I needed to not only come up with a naming convention for the sources in TMG, but also for my computer files.
What have I achieved?
Whilst I had envisaged entering all my certificates in one session, that was unrealistic. I have entered certificates for one branch of the family and will continue to do so in batches.
For the certificates I entered today I have:
- scanned the certificate and saved the image to the Exhibit directory
- named the document using the convention: SURNAME or MAIDEN NAME – FIRST NAME-MIDDLE NAME-TMG ID-YEAR OF DOC-DESCRIPTION
- edited the files in Irfanview and re-saved with a .jpg file extension so that it will be accepted by TMG
- set up a source in TMG using the naming convention for the Abbreviation: SOURCE TYPE CODE-SURNAME,FIRSTNAMES-YEAR-TITLE/DESCRIPTION
- attached the file as an exhibit to the source
- entered new BMD events for individuals as needed and cited the source
- entered additional events to record occupation information on the certificates and copied the citations to these events
- added additional witnesses to events where appropriate, another benefit of using TMG
I have a perpetual feeling that I am probably doing everything wrong, but hopefully I am moving in the right direction.